TITLE: Human Resource Generalist
REPORTS TO: Director of HR
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full-Time
The Human Resource Generalist will provide Client companies with consultation and advice on matters typically assigned to the Human Resource function.
This position provides tactical fundamental Human Resource support to the Client’s top management; consultant will deal with organizational issues including employee relations, employment law, policies and procedures, sexual harassment, discrimination and matters of compliance. Support will consist of in person, email and technical telephone consultations.
Investigate and respond to all client and employee inquiries regarding basic Human Resource concerns in a timely manner, ensuring customer satisfaction. Individual will advise clients on potential human resource ramifications of federal & state laws, regulations, best practices, court precedents and rulings.
Document and maintain HR records and metrics to provide feedback to clients. When appropriate, the consultant will direct the client to the appropriate Human Resource tools and resources on the Client’s Portal.
Individual will serve as sounding board in validating the client’s decision.
- Extremely strong multitasking abilities
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities, clients and employees
- Ability to efficiently and effectively diagnose problems and analyze resolution at a functional level
- Ability to analyze various situations regarding Human Resource Management, Payroll and Employee Relations
- Strong customer service orientation
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills – both verbal and written
- Must be able to work independently and as a part of a team
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business or Psychology required
- PHR or SHRM-CP required (SPHR preferred)
- Strong HR Generalist Background (4-6 years of broad based professional experience with at least 4 years in all aspects of HR management,).
- Experienced executive coach, working with Senior level management
- Employee Relations expert
- Computer proficiency (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, internet, fax, scanner, email, HRIS systems, payroll programs)
- Must possess consulting skills that will effectively address key issues among various small business clients.
- Must be able to get to the point with clients, resolve issues and give best practices or explain federal, state and local statutes in a brief concise manner.
- Must have reliable transportation including a valid driver license and insurance if using a personal vehicle to attend appointments, meetings and events.
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) preferred
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Maintain a high level of knowledge of the organization on a continual basis through staff, team and departmental meetings; or through research, print or online materials; and other avenues available within the organization.
Authority and Accountability
Accountable to the Director of HR Operations and CEO. Employee has the authority to carry out work performance objectives agreed upon with their supervisors. Objectives are outlined annually and reported/reviewed semi-annually. Employee has authority to formulate, affect, interpret, and implement management policies or operating practices using independent judgment and discretion to carry out the objectives and responsibilities of their position.
Required Training- Determine upon employment
Ability to read and write documents, reports, and correspondence, Must have the ability to speak effectively before small and large groups in English. Bi-lingual in Spanish reading, writing and speaking preferred.
Must be able to understand and perform math skills needed for the position (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, ratios, fractions, and proportions to practical solutions) either with or without a calculator. Must be able to perform basic calculations needed for payroll, taxes, 401k, insurance and other mathematics needed in areas of human resources and payroll.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form and carry them out. Ability to understand and interpret instructions and follow through to complete assigned tasks in a timely manner. Ability to understand, interpret and explain human resource practices, laws, regulations, best practices to employees and clients at all levels.
To perform this job successfully an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite software (MSWord, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, HRIS systems, payroll systems etc.), Internet, and Outlook. Ability to create and manipulate complicated spreadsheets preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Current driver’s license required. Employees who use privately owned vehicles for council business are responsible for complying with local, state and federal laws. Employees will be required to carry a current driver’s license, vehicle registration, automobile liability insurance of $100,000 per individual and $300,000 per occurrence. PHR required (SPHR preferred).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, talk, hear, write, type, and carry.
This position is primarily an office position with requirements to travel to clients locations as well as to attend meetings and events. Physical demands are normal to office duties.
- Vision – close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus with the ability to read a computer screen, paperwork, other written materials, and be able to visually see to drive a vehicle.
- Manual dexterity – to handle phones, paperwork, pens, pencils, keyboard data entry, and operate a vehicle.
- Sit – for extended periods of time
- Gripping/Grasping – paperwork, pens, pencils, phone, other office equipment
- Writing – words, letters, numbers, symbols, using a pen, pencil or other writing instrument
- Keying – ability to type using a keyboard or 10-key
- Carrying –
- documents, paperwork often up to 10 lbs – regularly and
- other office supplies from 25 to 30 – occasionally
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The main duties are preformed inside an office or building while the responsibilities may require the consultant to travel to a client’s facility or to meetings and events.
The employee is required to have the ability to learn and comprehend basic instructions and carry them out. The employee is required to have the ability to understand the meaning of words and respond effectively. The employee is required to have the ability to perform basic arithmetic accurately and quickly as defined in the qualifications. The employee is required to be able to deal with a high level of stress attributed to dealing with human resource issues in regards to employees and their employment including but not limited to hiring, firing, discipline, harassment, workers’ compensation, and insurance.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
Essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee will possess the skills aptitudes and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills or abilities.